Race Reports

Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon

I left it to the very last minute to leave for Toronto and ended up getting stuck in traffic on the 401 on the way into the city.  Thanks to some intelligent navigation, we all made it to the expo with only minutes to spare to pick up our race packages before they closed.  Nick and I also found a chance to chat with a few other runners on the benefits of natural form running, part of his duties as with his Ecco Biom sponsorship. 

After checking into our hotel room, Nick, my mom, my sister Laura, and I decided to go out for dinner.  

After dinner, we walked to check out the start finish area so we were familiar with where we had to be in the morning.  Unfortunately, the Eaton’s Centre was already closed; otherwise I would have stopped in to check out the lululemon.  They were going to have a cheering crew out the next day and I wanted to find out where they would be.  I loved their Terry Fox display in the front of the store!

I was feeling great on race morning and Nick and I had planned on pacing each other towards a 2:45’ marathon finish.  It would be a long shot but I figured I would at least give it a shot.  We were on target for the first 7 or 8km, but I knew there was no way I could maintain that pace for another 34km. 

I began to loose sight of Nick and I started to adjust my speed to something a little more reasonable.  I enjoyed the rest of the race and saw a few people I knew, cheering along the course.  The spectators help so much when you are racing. 

I had hoped to still finish under 3-hours, but even when I cranked out the last 3k a little faster, I still was four minutes over.  I had a great race and now had a better idea of my current level of fitness.  

I was greeted at the finish line by my little sister who had just completed her first half-marathon.  I was so proud of her for working so hard.  Nick finished about ten minutes before I did.  

We then found a great spot along the street, in order to cheer my mom on when she came in to finish her second walking half-marathon.  We had to head out right after the race so that Nick could catch his flight to BC and I could coach my long run practice for the UWO Tri Club back in London. 

It felt so great to be at a race with my friends and family, all participating and having a great time.  I look forward to more of these races in the future.

© Brian Groot 2020